The Mission of the Chapter
Is to assist those of our fellow veterans who are less fortunate than us. We are active in assisting Veterans with medical, family, and substance abuse problems.
We are actively involved in our community and provide meals for our needy veterans during the holidays when their anxiety is at its highest.
We visit our hospitalized brothers and sisters in the East Orange VA Hospital, whenever possible, to help make their days a little better.
We contribute to National and Local charities whenever possible.
The Vietnam Veterans of America - Chapter 510 Northern New Jersey is part of the Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) the largest National Service Organization, Congressionally Chartered and exclusively devoted to Vietnam and Vietnam Era Veterans. Our goal is to foster, encourage and promote improvement of the condition of the Veterans and their families. We bring together people, without regard to race, religion, or sex, who shared a common experience and any adult who wants to be an Associate Member to help further the association's goals.
We raise funds for various charities including local causes and other Veterans groups as well as our own initiatives.
We were one of the first Chapters to to promote and support the NJ Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Holmdel, NJ (PNC Arts Center exit off the Garden State Parkway).
We have produced TV shows pertaining to Veterans Issues for public broadcast (see our Links Page to view the shows).
We speak at Northern New Jersey schools about the Vietnam experience to students of all ages to be sure future generations will not forget.
We represent Veterans causes and concerns to the public at large to raise non-member awareness. We promote activities that bring VVA members together for social and charitable causes.
We currently have in place committees that handle:
- Student Scholarships (Awarded Annually)
- Health and Welfare for members and their families
- Public Affairs and Social Affairs and Community Service
- POW-MIA tracking and awareness
- Hospital Committee to work with VA participating hospitals, particularly in East Orange, NJ at which we provide our less fortunate Brothers and Sisters with some hot food, good company, and incidentals to make their stay more enjoyable
- PTSD and Agent Orange Committee to track what is happening for and against our Brothers and Sisters
- Government, Veterans and Incarcerated Veteran Affairs committees